Although the various exam boards test in different ways, there are a number of topics that consistently appear in the 11 Plus.
The following topics have all featured in recent examinations and as such, the revision and practise of all of these is recommended.
- Ordering words to make sentences
- Punctuate sentences with capital letters, full stops and question marks
- Alphabetical order
- Odd words out
- Rhyming words
- Order sentences to make a story
- Comprehensions – Read a passage and answer questions of fact, simple inferences, sometimes in sentences more typically multiple choice
- Use of: – capital letters; full stops; question marks
- Simple compound words
- ‘Cloze’ exercise
- Write a short story in within 20 to 30 minutes (Creative Writing)
Recommended English Resources
In addition to the familiarization papers issued by the relevant exam board, there are a number of resources that are useful for preparing your child.
- A variety of downloadable English papers are available from the S6 shop.
- Our new hard copy exam books can also be purchased via the online shop and cover the integral aspects of Key Stage 2 level English including comprehension, reading and writing.
- The S6 Hub has a huge range of tests that are based upon all key competency areas. Tests cover punctuation, Cloze procedure, spelling, comprehension, homophones, antonyms and synonyms as well as maths, verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning and CEM style exams.