Long Car Journey
How to keep your child entertained on a long car journey-
- Buy some activity books– such as drawing, colouring or puzzles. Traditional story or picture books are great if your kids love to read, too.
- Travel games are still available in many forms, including Connect Four, Battleship, Chess. These will keep your child entertained for hours.
- Audio books played through a portable MP3 player are great for keeping your kids busy whilst you are travelling for many hours.
- Take frequent stops. These are not only essential for toilet breaks, but if you aim for somewhere a little unusual along the way, like an interesting tourist attraction, they can help with boredom, too.
- A tablet is expensive, but it’s a favourite with parents and keeping children busy. It offers multiple options to your kids such as books, films, games, puzzles and even educational apps.
- Or you could try a portable DVD player with a selection of your child’s favourite cartoons.
- Never underestimate the power of the good old word game such as I-Spy, and Twenty Questions are great ways to fire your kids’ imaginations.
- Kids love cameras, so buy a cheap digital one and get your kids to take as many photos as they can. .
- Snacks are essential to make any car journey pass with the minimum of fuss, but don’t go for junk – choose nutritious foods that take a while to eat and keep bellies full for a long time, such as raisins.
- Tell a story, or better still, get your kids to make one up. Or you could all tell a story together in a round, with each member of the family making up a sentence at a time.