- Ranking/ordering: e.g. ‘Number the events below to show the order in which they happen in the story’
- Labelling: e.g. ‘Label the text to show the title of the story’
- Find and copy: e.g. ‘Find and copy one word that suggests what the weather is like in the story’
- Short constructed response: e.g. ‘What does the bear eat?’
- Open-ended response: e.g. ‘Look at the sentence that begins Once upon a time. How does the writer increase the tension throughout this paragraph? Explain fully, referring to the text in your answer.’
Grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Selected response: e.g. ‘Identify the adjectives in the sentence below’
- Constructed response: e.g. ‘Correct/complete/rewrite the sentence below,’ or, ‘The sentence below has an apostrophe missing. Explain why it needs an apostrophe.